Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dickens –Don’t Talk About My Music


Dickens –Sho’ Need Love/ Don’t Talk About My Music –Scepter Records SCE 123 22 (1971 US)

OK, the time has come to unleash this one. Dickens was a concept by NRBQ’s road crew based on the premise “that an E chord played loud enough on an electric guitar was enough to satisfy a certain segment of the populace...". The Dickens would turn the amps up to 10 and swap to instruments they were unaccustomed to. Whatever the premise; Don’t Talk About My Music is an insane piece of shambolic in your face Bonehead ROCK and is to be heard to be believed. The A side on the other hand is all about mood and atmosphere and reaches haunting heights of psych Pop glory. Read the full story here: http://www.spectropop.com/Dickens/



Hear a full version of Don’t Talk About My Music




Hear a full version of Sho’ Need Love

12 comments:

Collin said...

Welcome to the club!

Duncanmusic said...

heard about this somwhere and and finally glad top be able to hear it. Thanks a lot!

Duncanmusic said...

I heard about this one a long time ago and had forgotten to p[ursue it, Thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot early 70s proto-punk, but this one... incredible! There's been an article about them in Ugly Things some years ago and I thought I'd never get to hear that unreleased 45 of which only some testpressings seem to exist. Where the hell did you get it? Anyway, thanks a billion times. Lolly Pope

waxguzzler said...

like the psych side, but other side is bullshine

Robin Wills said...

Well Don't Talk About My Music is bound to polarize opinions...that's for sure. I think I got it off a UK dealer in the last couple of years at quite a reasonable price. I hear that it does now go for a bomb

Anonymous said...

Wow, love your blog,The Dickens story is amazing. Thanks for Tom Hartman, I had found that one a while back,boy is that a ripping record.

brambleman said...

Love your blog, The Dickens story is amazing. Thanks for Tom Hartman, that is a ripping record.

Doctor Gaz said...

Has anyone heard the album version of sho' need love?, would love to hear it especially if it is extended

EXPO67 said...

'Sho Need Love' is tripped out magic.

link rae said...

bullshine or not "don't talk" is an instant classic in my house :)
thanks robin !

eddie said...

Sho Need Love was annoyingly sped-up for that record... they've said so in interviews. I took a higher-quality source and slowed it down a full step from G to F which sounds like the true performance... I like it much better. It's the only raga-style thing any NRBQ guys ever recorded