Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pedro Platten –Berlin



Just returned from my third visit in 18 months to Pedro Platten in Berlin. Pedro Platten is at Tegeler Weg 102 and the shop is a veritable collector emporium run by a guy who is nearly 70 years young. Pedro always has quite a story to tell, from his recording and DJing in the 60s and 70s to the records he has acquired and sold over the years. He has even published a book on the finds he has discovered. I guess my first visit was the most fruitful, but I always manage to come away with some new worthwhile purchases such as Slade’s Wild Winds Are Blowing (Fontana), Daisy Clan’s Ridin’ a Rainbow (with the great San Francisco China Town on the B side), Marz’s Who Turned The Light On and Jeremy B’s Come On Little Pretty (Bacillus). Prices are reasonable but you will need a head for heights to climb up the step ladder in order to peruse some of the singles stacked high up to the ceiling. He may soon be renting the shop next door, so hopefully it will become easier to browse his entire stock. Pedro Platten is a one of a kind experience, long may it run...
http://www.platten-pedro.de/


2 comments:

bristolboy said...

It's close to Heaven - I was recommended this "treasure trove" of a shop last time I was in Berlin & I came away a happy man

Proudfoot Sound said...

I lived in Berlin and I go there often, so I probably know all the "shallplatten" stores.
Platten Pedro is a very good shop...but the best shop is Voice Of Stars (not far from Tiergarten).
Mauer Park market is very good too!