Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Paper Lace -So What If I Am


Paper Lace –So What If I Am/ Himalayan Lullaby –Philips 6000176 (1975 German issue)

I never thought that I would ever review a single by Paper Lace...but what if I am?
Looking like the outright winners from an all night Bavarian fisting competition, the normally clean and commercially viable Paper Lace tough it up on this non-hit outing from 1975. Rarely has a record sounded as much like its picture sleeve as this one. Obviously posed and contrived to gain entry with the Boot Boy crowd, So What If I Am is built upon a convincing stomp, with though guy vocals and silly synth bleebs sprinkled on top. It all ends up sounding rather marvellous and if it were not Paper Lace, this would be high on many a wants list, where it firmly belongs...Now if only they were sporting steel capped DMs under their elephant flares...

Hear a full version of So What If I Am


4 comments:

45 Revolutions said...

Longest fucking intro in the history of the world, and flab enough elsewhere to warrant a good one-minute trimming, but... good song, nice sound: good record! Not as good as the "Billy'" though!

23 Daves said...

This is great, I think, utterly unexpectedly so. It's the kind of aggressive, hard glam I like - Earl Brutus would have loved this one.

Anonymous said...

Marvellous song. UK issue is on Bus Stop (?) Was introduced to this (initially against my will!!) some years ago and then finally found a copy.

Anonymous said...

covered this song with my band (Nagg) many moons ago - it's on our LP but our version/recording didn't do it justice...this song is pretty dern amazin' for how bad the rest of their stuff is. Maybe they had Handsome Dick write this one for them!?!