Friday, December 04, 2009

Jo-Jo Ellis –The Fly


Jo-Jo Ellis –The Fly/Perdona Mia –Fury Records FY 302 (1972 UK)

The Fly is a bizarre and haunting excursion from none other than Alvin Stardust (Shane Fenton). The overall mood is set by some neo-Rockabilly vocalisations over an acoustic backdrop with some real out of place orchestration (ARP/Mellotron?). This was probably some form of vanity release (this couldn’t have been aimed at the charts!) on a label run by Billy Fury, who didn’t get round to reinvent himself into a Glitter/Stardust type to refresh his career.

Hear a full version of The Fly

3 comments:

45 Revolutions said...

Really nice until the strings come in, at which point it kinda dips a bit, then it shoots itself in the foot with the M8.

Collin said...

Yeah, seems like Billy Fury would have been a natch given Marty Wilde's resurrection. Package tour with Billy, Zappo & Elmer Goodbody!

Anonymous said...

My best mate and I first heard this on Alan Freeman's weekday radio show after school back in 1972. I remember it was his record of the week at the time and how we were both impressed by it for its cool and laid back sound. We never imagined then that it was Alvin Stardust under yet another pseudonym. I have been after the single since then but never been able to find it at a sensible price. I would love to have this on vinyl and hear it again in its entirity so if anyone knows where I can get a copy of it I'd be grateful. I Liked the strings and the melotron and the "doop n' di" hook line. Colin