Saturday, June 14, 2008

Johnny Burton –Polevault Man


Johnny Burton –Polevault Man/The Polythene Doll –Philips 6006236 (1972 UK)

Polevault Man is one of those out-of-period numbers, although it came out in ’72 it sounds more like 1968. It’s a bouncy little number on the border of Psych and PolkaGum with some snazzy fuzz. I first heard this track on one of those Circus Days comps and its chorus and lyrics just stuck in my mind. It’s quite a moral tale in fact, as a boasting Johnny recounts his exploits of jumping ahead of Mr. Average to add to his conquests, but he gets his comeuppance in the end…
Vocally, Johnny has a certain Scouser stance in his raspy delivery, but who is he? There’s a Johnny Burton who has a single Come On, Dance With Me/ Slave Girl that is collectable in Northern Soul circles…But is it the same Guy?

Click on title for a soundclip of Polevault Man

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, he's my dad and he's from Blackpool so you were near with Liverpool! Where on earth did you find this single of his? Rebecca. I have an interesting story about this song, I will email you the details! :)

Unknown said...

Hi there, I really am interested in hearing your story! My father, Keith Hornby was involved on this record. Played guitar and backing vocals maybe. He's not around anymore, so I love hearing stories. rebeccamabelhornby@gmail.com

Andru Reeve said...

Hi...I really dig this song and I sure would LOVE to hear any and everything about this song and the singer Johnny Burton. There are also a couple of the lyrics that I'm not completely clear on, so any help would be welcome! My take on it has always been that it's a metaphor for a playboy and his "pole". Too on-the-nose?