Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Heavy Dwarfs –Moeder Natuur


The Heavy Dwarfs –Moeder Natuur/Joanna –Bankuwel 6802118 (1973 NL)

Another interesting Dutch release. Moeder Natuur is a chomping Heavy Glam number, with fuzz guitars, slap-back/flanged drums and a few scattered HEYs, but it lacks that killer hook or tune to make it really stand out. I’m wondering if the band were in fact bank tellers? The back of the sleeve lists 4 different saving banks with full addresses and phone numbers…and the record label (Bankuwel) could well be an investment venture or something. Perhaps our Dutch friends could fill us in with some background info?


Click on title for soundclip

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a private release, I guess this thing was just a giveaway to young aspiring savers. The composer of both sides is a certain Bastiaan Notheboom. The B-side is a silly tale about two youngsters wise enough to bring their savings to the bank, but hey, I like Moeder Natuur (Mother Nature) a lot. The lyrics are very much about environmental consciousness, it sounds a bit naïve now maybe, but the Heys here serve well as a sort of a wake-up call ! I doubt if Heavy Dwarfs were ever a real group, so yeah, probably a hobby project by a bunch of stressed out bank employees...
Jos

Jeroen Vedder said...

Heck, I actually got this one as a "gift" when it first came out. Opening my first bank account? who knows... Haven't heard it in ages, but remember likin' Moeder Natuur at the time. I Guess these days the kids get a rap CD proclaimin' the virtues of buyin' stocks... (or did Jos get that one?)

Velvettinmineradio said...

I can't wait to recieve this one! Luckily, I just found a copy on ebay, so soon I will be hearing this one!