Sunday, November 05, 2006

Captain Groovy And His Bubblegum Army


Capt. Groovy And His Bubblegum Army –Capt. Groovy And His Bubblegum Army/ Dark Part Of My Mind –Super K AZ 10694 (1969 French issue)

This is an insanely great release from the Kasenetz –Katz stable (with a little help from Ritchie Cordell). I read a review of this single in an old Bomp over 30 years ago and it’s only now that I got a copy and it’s even better than I imagined. The A side is a fuzzed up heavy Bubblegum killer tune with dark overtones. Imagine the Ohio Express on Ketamine stomping around in jackboots with a rallying call for the Teen masses to enroll - Yes, we are talking about Bubblegum fascism here! It’s just perfect from start to freak out finish. The B side Dark Part Of My Mind is another psyched out ditty but without the hooky call to arms. AWESOME !!! (As our American cousins would say…)

Click on title for soundclip

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is also on the Mindrockers CD box set of psych stuff

EXPO67 said...

Robin, I've got this 45 aswell and it IS killer bubblegum psych with a heavy production sound.

I don't have the picture cover though. Never seen that before.

Robin Wills said...

And I'm also the proud owner of the German pic sleeve (with different B side) AND a German Poster which is the only bit of "art" I have in my living room